Getting certified is easy!
Just follow these 5 simple steps.
- Choose the certification that is right for you
- Review our policies
- Create a login account and register for the exam
- Download prep resource materials and study
- Take the exam
To recertify, click here.
Green Advantage offers 2 green builder certifications. Choose the one that’s right for you.
|GA Certified Associate Exam™ (GACA™ Exam)||GA Certified Practitioner Exam™ (GACP™ Exam)|
|Exam is for:||
Workers across trades, regardless of green building rating system, standard, or code utilized on the job.
Supervisors across trades, regardless of green building rating system, standard, or code utilized on the job.
|Exam focuses on:||How to ensure successful green building projects and reduce risks associated with green building||How to ensure successful green building projects and reduce risks associated with green building, emphasizing supervisory perspective.|
|To pass you must:||Understand the application of green building methods, materials, and 300+ green building best practices including building performance, worker & occupant health & safety, crew collaboration, and costs||Understand the application of green building methods, materials, and 800+ green building best practices. The exam emphasizes meeting and exceeding green project goals related to building performance, worker and occupant health and safety, crew collaboration, and costs|
|Exam length/format:||1-½ hour test time/60 multiple choice questions||1-½ hour test time/60 multiple choice questions|
|Credential awarded:||GA Certified Associate™ ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 Accredited (valid for 5 years)||GA Certified Practitioner™ ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 Accredited (valid for 5 years)|
|Credential qualifies you for:||GA3030 Specification Standard (toward required GA Certified personnel percentage totals)||GA30 Specification Standard , GA3030 Specification Standard, and the LEED Innovation Credit (toward required GA Certified personnel percentage totals).|
- From the Green Advantage website, click on Register. If you have a GA account, log in and complete the registration process. If you do not have a GA account, create one by clicking on Register and then click on Create New Account (upper right of the screen).
- Select the computerized version of the exam you wish to take along with the testing site, date, and time.
- Read the registration agreement and click to acknowledge that you have read and understand it.
- Checkout by paying for your exam. You can pay with a credit card or, if your employer or host has sent you a voucher code, enter your voucher code.
An employer, training organization, or other host may arrange for a group exam. This involves a different registration process than the one listed above. If you are part of such a group, you will receive special registration instructions from your exam host. If you have questions about this process, ask your exam host, or contact email@example.com.
Green Advantage offers free resources to help you prepare for your certification exam – and pass!
- Study Guides (included with exam registration)
- GACA/GACP Certification Handbook
- GACA Exam™ Overview
- GACP Exam™ Overview
- AIA/CES Program Workbook (a supplement to the GACP Study Guide for GACP exam takers seeking AIA continuing education units)
- Tips for Preparing to Take an Exam
- Tips for Exam Day
- List of Exam Prep Trainers
Green Advantage recommends, but does not require, exam candidates to attend exam preparation training.
The GA Certified Associate™ certification is valid for 3 years and the GA Certified Practitioner™ certification is valid for 5 years.* So be sure to keep track of your certification expiration, and don’t forget to get recertified.
*For exams taken after January 1, 2013. (For exams taken before January 1, 2013, certification is valid for 3 years.)